Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Miguel García: Interpreter in DC

Miguel García is MIIS 2014 Graduate of Conference Interpretation with a combination of English, French and Spanish. He grew up in New York and is a freelance conference interpreter in D.C. area. His clients include IMF, World Bank, Organization of American States and the State Department. 
I first saw Miguel from the TED talk given by Professor Laura Burian and Professor Barry Olsen at Monterey. He demonstrated consecutive interpretation from Spanish to English. Later I got the chance to hear him sharing his experience on how meditation helped him on the first class of Mindfulness for Interpreters taught by Professor Julie Johnson. 
Here in D.C., I feel privileged to have the opportunity to know him in person and listen to his stories, thanks to the referral of Ms. Amandine Martin, an alumna, and Mr. Jeff Wood, our career adviser, who referred me to Amandine. Here is my interview with Miguel on working as a freelance interpreter in D.C.:
Time: 11:40, Saturday, May 16
Place: Pret a Manger near Farragut North Station at Washington D.C.
Flora: What’s your general impression of D.C.? 
Miguel: I may not be the best person to talk about it, as I haven't spent much time in the area. It's been less than a year since I moved here, and I had been away on assignments from the State Department for three weeks at a time. 
It is a very transient and young city with high turnover. People come here for job opportunities with international organizations and government agencies. They may leave after a few years. Many of those who stay choose to live in Maryland and Virginia for larger space. 
The city offers a lot of free stuff such as world-renowned museums and concerts, which creates a welcoming atmosphere for people living in the outskirts. 
Flora: Do you find that based in D.C. area helps with your career? 
Miguel: Absolutely. The government may be willing to reaching out more but many organizations only take locals, so being here locally is a huge help. The other reason is that the interpreting world here in D.C. is really small. Everyone talks to everyone. I heard people saying to me, "oh, I've heard about you." It happened when I was here for a month and a half. If you are here, people will know and remember you, and will give you some work.  
Flora: How do you see the interpretation market? Do you feel that interpreters with lower standards but who charge less are taking away the jobs?  
Miguel: We see two kinds of market. One market has truly talented interpreters and clients looking for these interpreters are willing to pay. The other have interpreters with lower standards. You always want to be in the market with higher standards and quality work. I think that market is much smaller and the work does get around a lot.  
I'm still quite new here in D.C., but I've refused work that requires lowering my standards. It's very hard to do so in the beginning, but the more I get to work, and the more I get to see the different levels of qualities that exist, the more I want to make sure I'm not perceived as either on the line that I can go either side or on the bad side. I want to be always on the right side. 
I have a much strong stance now, but that came from a lot of conversations with people who are nice enough to talk to me. I've struggled with it, but it's better to struggle through it to get your footing but eventually put yourself where you want to be, because it's really difficult to dig yourself out of it. 
Flora: Do you find your current job allow you to pursue your ideal lifestyle?
Miguel: 150%. It is exactly what I planned and envisioned for my life. I need to be constantly stimulated. I need to learn something new all the time, otherwise I'm bored with the monotony. 
Now I own my life in general instead of being owned by my work. If I have errands to run or if I want to have a day off, I can do it, because three working days can cover my financial needs for the week. 
Some people feel stressed about the instability or the unknown that you have to live with in the freelance market. As of two days ago, I had nothing for next week. I was just like, "Hopefully something will come along". Yesterday I got an offer for two days next week. Maybe on Monday I will get something for the end of the week, maybe not, but it's fine. Because up till this point, I've already covered my financial needs for this month. Everything else goes to your reserve. 
You also have to take care of what your job usually dose, like taxes, insurance and retirement. But whatever, it is part of your life. You eventually get used to the routine. You put aside what you need to do, but I own that. 
For me, the stability that comes with a full-time job isn't worth giving up the flexibility that I have now. I make my own schedules, and I love it, especially the kinds of things that I interpret for. The last assignment was about international crime and terrorism. Before I was doing environment. Between the two I was working on the rights of the elderly in Latin America. I did the prep meeting held here for the big Environmental Summit in Paris at the end of the year. All of those are exciting. 
I'm still at the stage where some work comes to me, some I need to seek out. It's difficult to put yourself out there and sell yourself. It is stressful, but it pays off. I honestly don't think I could have done it not being here in D.C.  
Flora: Anything else that you feel important? 
Miguel: Go to the place that you would hate going to in 15 or 20 years, because you can do it now. I can imagine that at some point of my life it will be complex with family and children, and it's harder to be this flexible. Take advantage of the flexibility and the energy you have now, and go for the place that will be harder to envision in the future. Choose the optimal destination for your language combination and do it now, because you never know what will happen in the future. 
Miguel also has great advice for 1st year CI and TI students. For more please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment