Wednesday, May 20, 2015

DC Impression: a Tourist's Perspective

I doubt any visitor can manage to go to all the museums here unless given a month. (1 days after I drafted this post I met Abrahim, a graduate of Museum Studies at George Washington Museum from Egypt. He said he didn't finish all the museums in his two years of study, and he studies museums.) I just came back from my second day of museum tour with impression about many interesting exhibitions and interesting people.

"Oh, Count! That's the real deal!"
Yesterday I visited the National Museum of American History. It was such a fun place! I especially love "American Stories", where the exhibition vividly depicted aspects of American life, from a mechanical standing clock made in the 18th century, to the first Apple computer. It was a very good place to stay to observe cultural difference. Almost all the children passing Count von count , the Sesame Street character who is always counting, would take a picture of this precious "real thing". I also love the replica of Julia Child's kitchen. It was not just a kitchen, but a workshop, a reading room and a studio.

Multi-colored T shirts
There were also groups of students wearing the same colored T-shirt. While I was sitting on a bench, a teacher led a group of students over. The teacher sat besides me, talking about American history while her students sat on the ground entranced by her vivid narration. After that a girl gave a very satisfactory feedback: "I love how we sat on the ground and listened." Sometimes boys would rush into a quiet exhibition hall yelling and chasing at each other, and their teacher would shush them, which made me giggle. I can totally relate to that careless and loud teenage period of mine.

A boy as Lincoln
The students are from all over the country, Ohio, Alabama, etc. Parents also come with the students. I asked a mum from Ohio if the parents were drivers. She said they took a bus, starting their journey early morning the day before yesterday. I always wanted to ask whether all students can come or only those who can afford it can, but didn't get the chance to ask. I was also wondering if the schools going to DC have agreed among themselves that they would wear different colors for easier identification. I was also curious what assignment the students would get for the trip... There were so many questions that I wanted to ask, but as I inquired much, the teachers and parents became suspicious, as if I am a kidnapper or weirdo, which I totally understand and appreciate. It is definitely necessary for the sake of children. But if you have taken part of this kind of tour when you are at school, you are welcome to share your experiences!

In China students from primary schools and middle school have spring and autumn trip. It was usually quite cheap, and we didn't spend the night outside, not in my school. Parents didn't come with us as they needed to go to work, and they trust school and teachers a lot. I have forgotten where we had been to, but it wasn't the destination that was exciting, but the way going to and back from another place. We sang songs, played games and cards or chatted. I guess a long trip for students here may work the same way.

Yesterday I saw a group of women in traditional floral dress, like Hobbit women in the movie. I thought they were actresses hosting some cultural activity, so I asked what it was. The woman smiled, saying that it was the way they dress every day! Wow, that was really eye-opening! They sat in the sun, carefree and merry, I felt like going back to the 19th century Britain. Where are they from? A place in Pennsylvania. I really look forward to going to their village and living there for a while. It must be a poetic and peaceful place to stay! I didn't see many other people go talk to them. Was I the only one who didn't know about this kind of custom?

I talked to a lady from Upstate New York. She came here with her husband for a visit of her sister's family. She said that she loved DC, as a lot of things are free, and the city is vibrant with a lot of things to do. What's New York state like? In her hometown, apples, vineyards and skiing. Sounds fun too, maybe just not as many people and tourists?

No comments:

Post a Comment